If you plan your summer holiday to New Zealand, pick your own (PYO) blueberries is a Must Thing to do with your family and friends in North Island. If you live in New Zealand, pick your own blueberries is an essential kiwi family activity during summer school holiday.
Pick Your Own Blueberries is FUN!
Lavender Backyard Garden is the only PYO blueberry and lavender farm in New Zealand.
We have a field of high bush blueberries that opens for PYO blueberries from early December till the end of January.
Our blueberries are medium-sized and flavorful varieties that begin to fruit around October.
All blueberries ripen at different times. They are delicious but need to be picked by hand.
We cover the bushes with netting to prevent birds.
When you pick your own blueberries, you need to lift up the netting and then pick. It is a great experience to feel like a REAL farmer.
How to Prepare for a Successful Pick Your Own Blueberries Experience?
- Check our website or Facebook before you go: Mother Nature doesn't really follow our schedule, we have to follow hers, so please check out our website Summer Activities or Facebook before you come.
- Dress like farmers: Please wear hats, right shoes such as gumboots, long sleeves and pants. You will want to protect yourself, not only from the sun but also cuts and scratches from prickly vines and bushes and bug bites.
- Bring containers: We will provide containers that you can use to hold what you pick, but you will need to bring containers to carry your blueberries home.
- Don't forget sunblock: Sunblock is a must if you don't want to get sunburn.
- Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate! Don't forget your drink bottle. If it is a hot day you will need water.
- Kids are Happy. Enjoy your Pick Your Own adventure!