Before buying a candle, you might consider the ingredients, what type of wax it is made from, whether the candle contains artificial fragrances or natural fragrances. Should I buy candles scented by fragrance oils or essential oils?
There is a lot of debate over which is better.
Fragrance Oil vs. Essential Oils are Made Differently
Essential oils are derived from plants via steam distillation or cold-pressing process and fragrance oils are a combination of synthetic chemicals and natural ingredients.
Fragrance Oil Candles Smell Stronger
Fragrance oils are man-made in labs specifically for the purpose of delivering a strong scent that makes an impact. Therefore, the scent throw of fragrance oils often offer stronger scents than the essential oils. That means the fragrance candle will sometimes fragrance your space more effectively than an essential oil candle.
Essential Oils Are Safer?
People often assume "natural" means safe, which causes fragrance oils to get bad reputation because they are not derived from "natural" matters. However, it is all about the quality of the oil. Both fragrance oils and essential oils are generally safe to use when practiced correctly in a safe manner.
You might be wondering why some candles have a much higher price tag than others. In general, the cheap candles are often made out of poor quality ingredients. Scented candles can cause headaches for some people. Burning bad quality of synthetic fragrance oils is potentially problematic as the burning candle produces toxic chemical smoke vapor and can potentially cause many health problems. The problem is always from the quality of the candle either the petroleum soot emitted from paraffin or from the quality of the fragrance oil. However, you are sure to feel a major difference when you light a high quality candle.
Some fragrance oils contain ingredients that aren't healthy to inhale or may give you headaches due to how strong the scent is.
Why Essential Oil Candles are more Expensive?
Essential oils pure extracts are derived from natural sources, including flowers, grasses, leaves, seeds, bark and roots. To extract essential oil, it involves a relatively intense product process. That is why essential oils are more expensive. An essential oil candle are very costly since it requires a significant amount of essential oils to scent a candle. Although essential oil candles are harder to make and more expensive, they offer a natural aromatic scent better than fragrance oils.
Both Essential Oil and Fragrance Oil Candles Smell Great
When comparing between essential oil candles and fragrance oil candles it doesn't need to be a definite answer as long as they use good quality ingredients. Therefore, it is all about preference. Essential oils and fragrance oils can be blended to create specific notes and they both have wonderful applications on their own.
Fragrance Oils vs. Essential Oils: Choosing the Right Option for Your Candles
In conclusion, here are some takeaways when choosing candles for your home.
- Essential oils are derived from natural plant sources, while fragrance oils are synthetic compounds made from a combination of natural and synthetic ingredients.
- Fragrance oils tend to have stronger scents than essential oils, which can be beneficial for those who want a more powerful fragrance in their candles.
- However, fragrance oils can also contain harmful chemicals that may cause negative health effects such as headaches, while essential oils are generally considered safer and more natural.
- Candles made with essential oils tend to have softer and more subtle scents, but can still provide aromatherapy benefits and are a great choice for those with sensitivities to synthetic fragrances.
- When choosing between fragrance oils and essential oils for candles, it's important to consider the potential health effects, personal preferences for scent strength, and desired therapeutic benefits.
Lavender Backyard Garden aromatherapy candles are made with our very own 100% pure essential oils to produce our amazing scents. We use natural soy wax and coconut wax and high quality cotton wicks. If you would like to learn more about our farm click here to discover our farm.
It is an excellent addition to your home and a perfect choice to make a lovely gift for your friends and family.