Flower water, also called pure hydrosol, and often described as being the "essence" of the plant. Even if the floral water contains aromatic molecules and water, it is not water with essential oil added. Although both essential oil and floral water come from the same plant and from the same steam distillation process, they do not have the same properties. The scents are different too.
Floral water are miracle-working waters, that are a byproduct from the steam distillation process of essential oil, which contain therapeutic properties that are used to sooth, cool, calm and tone all kinds of skin, especially for sensitive, dry or problematic skin.
Here are 5 ways to use this beautiful smelling flower.
1. Natural Facial Toner or Cleanser
Floral waters can be used on their own and makes it an easy way to experience the benefit of essential oils. It balances the pH levels of skin and contains anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties that can be part of your daily cleansing routine. Simply apply floral water directly after your make-up remover or cleansing lotion, the floral water removes any dirt or makeup product still left on your skin. It can also tone your skin to give a healthy, fresh glow. Lavender floral water is a good all-rounder floral water which is especially great for soothing and healing blemished and irritated skin.
2. Hair Care
In between shampooing and conditioning, applying floral water to your hair can help to condition your hair and give extra soft and shiny condition. Lavender floral water has antiseptic properties that help with a dry, itchy scalp. Since the properties of lavender can improve blood circulation, you can use it to give your hair extra boost towards growth and thickness.
You can also squirt a little floral water onto your hair to refresh your hair during the day. Not only it gives an extra nice flowery smell on your hair, but your hair will be shinier.
3. After Sun Care
Sunscreen is the best protection against sun damage on your skin, but sometimes we don't put on as often as we should and as much as we should. If you get sunburnt, floral water can soothe sunburned skin, relieve discomfort, pain and help your skin heal. Spray lavender water on the sunburned area, it calms irritation, redness and itching. Its calming fragrance will promote relaxation and relieve the stress of sunburn.
4. Makeup Setting & Finishing Spray
Makeup setting spray is the key to lock in your makeup look and achieve long-wearing makeup. The makeup setting sprays in the market are normally made with alcohol, which most dermatologists consider an irritant that has a drying effect on the skin. It can lead to skin problems that range from acne, rashes and itchiness and also worsen existing sensitive conditions. Floral water is a natural product which contains properties to hydrate and soothe dry skin, and is also non-alcoholic. Try spraying your makeup face by using floral water which can help you keep your makeup looking fresh all day.
5. Anytime Body Hydration
Floral water not only can be used for your face, you can also spray all over your body. After a shower or bath, spray floral water everywhere on your body to keep your skin soft and supple. Or anytime during the busy day, lightly spray floral water on your face and you will feel refreshed and calm.
5 Ways to Use Lavender Floral WatersTo recap, here are 5 ways to use lavender floral waters.
- Natural Facial Toner or Cleanser. Floral water balances skin's pH levels, removes dirt, and tones the skin for a healthy, fresh glow. Lavender floral water is great for soothing and healing irritated skin.
- Hair Care. Applying floral water to your hair conditions, softens, and adds shine. Lavender floral water helps with a dry, itchy scalp and promotes hair growth.
- After Sun Care. Lavender floral water soothes sunburned skin, calms irritation, relieves discomfort and promotes relaxation.
- Makeup Setting & Finishing. Spray Floral water is a non-alcoholic natural product that hydrates and soothes dry skin. Use as a makeup setting spray to keep your makeup looking fresh all day.
- Anytime Body Hydration. Spray lavender floral water all over your body to keep skin soft and supple. Spray on the face anytime for a refreshing and calming effect.
Lavender Backyard Garden is a New Zealand herb farm. We grow lavender, rosemary and use steam distillation to produce our own brand essential oils and floral waters. If you would like to learn more about our farm click here to discover our farm.