Smudging rituals is a beautiful technique for purifying or cleansing the soul of negative thoughts of a space. You want to welcome your intention or wishes and positive energy into the newly cleared open space. Before you start, remember to take time to contemplate your wishes for your family and home.
Things to prepare before start
Smudge stick, candle, fireproof container
Using your smudge stick
- Holding the end of your stick, light one end with a candle. Gently wave the extinguished flame; the smudge will begin to glow and smoke.
- Start at the front door of your home and walk clockwise around the entire perimeter of the home to complete “circumambulation", which makes a space more sacred.
- As the smoke ascends, your intention and wishes rise. If you are clearing negative energy, picture its density and see it lifting away as the smoke rises into the air.
- Gently wave the stick to fill and purify each space with smoke in your home. Allow the smoke to drift into the hidden spaces such as dark corners and inside closets.
- When you arrive back at the front door, speak your intention one last time to finish up the smudging ceremony.
- You may relight and repeat the process until the stick has completely burned.
We are a New Zealand lavender herb farm. We grow lavender, eucalyptus, white sage, bay leaves, rosemary and rose, we air dry them and design our beautiful smudge stick.